Thursday, April 23, 2009

Postings

Hello, and thanks to all that have been wondering what happened to the Don Giovanni blog! Haha!.  It seems there is a large contingent of Chinese followers wondering about the status of things (I'm not sure too many of those for whom this was actually intended check in!).  So, all I can say is:  xie xie nimen!  Scheduling, concert preparations, coachings, teachings, practicing, administration....all are factors in the the lack of maintenance on this particular blog.  I have been asked by a couple (again, outside of UTK's production) if I will be completing the 'study notes' I did for much of the score.  The answer is "yes", I will.  I am humbled and touched to know that my observations and thoughts seem to be of value to others working through this score and so I will add notes for the rest of the opera.  Your patience is appreciated.  Once Giovanni is completed (including notes here on this blog), I will begin posting study notes for Die Zauberflote which is in preparation for performance in Seoul this summer (www.isongfesta.kr).


Anyway, the show has grown tremendously over the past few months and I am delighted with the effort and progress.  The undergraduate cast in particular has exceeded expectations and their determination is a true inspiration.  It is not a secret that I was not the most in favor of attempting this work with an undergraduate only cast.  This is one of those instances where I am thrilled that my initial reservations have been proven wrong.  

I was particularly pleased with the progress people had made over spring break and the two weeks following while I was in Shanghai and Seoul.  Although the rehearsal schedule has been grueling since my jet-lagged return, it has been rewarding to see this massive work come together in such a delightful way.  








No comments:

Post a Comment